Refugee Children

Thousands of children have been detained at the US border.

These children are being smuggled into the US so they can be reunited with their families. Their trauma-filled journey has been dangerous and uncertain. These children need a loving and caring home until they can be placed with their family members living in the US. Catholic Social Services of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia and the US Conference of Catholic Bishops are acting quickly to help these vulnerable children.

We need your help.

Catholic Social Services is seeking parents to provide loving and caring homes for children on a temporary basis. Transitional care parents are part of an entire network of professionals working to help these children permanently reunite with their families in the US.


  • Must be at least 21 years old.
  • Must have a safe, stable residence with appropriate furnishings.
  • Must be healthy enough to provide care for children.
  • Must be able to pass criminal, child abuse and FBI background checks.
  • Must be able to complete the home study process.
  • Must be able to provide support to children and their families.

Request Information

    Make a Donation

    You can help! If caring for unaccompanied children in your home is not an option at this time, you can help us welcome these children by donating to the program. Your donation will offset the cost of education, housing, medical and psychological care, and so much more.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    How old are the children?

    The unaccompanied minors we serve are between the ages of 5-12 years old.

    How long is transitional care needed for?

    The length of time varies but it is typically a matter of 2-12 weeks.

    Do I need to speak a foreign language?

    Speaking Spanish or another language is not a requirement, but it would be beneficial. All of the children we place will be Spanish speaking. Most have very limited English.

    Do I need special training?

    As one of our transitional care parents, we will provide you with support and training. You do not need to have any other specialized training.

    Where will the children receive schooling and psychological care?

    CSS operates a facility in Northeast Philadelphia. Children will receive psychological support and attend school at this location. Ideally, transitional care parents live close enough to Northeast Philadelphia to facilitate the commute.

    Can I have other children?

    Yes! Families with other children are welcome to apply for the program.

    Will I receive any compensation?

    Yes, a per diem rate is paid.

    Do I need to be married?

    No. Single adults who meet our other criteria can apply.